Programarama
I am disappointed, I went through the whole day with this awesome story planned, and I sit down today and forget it... I'll tell you how programming went I suppose...
We had a programming midterm today, which I totally rocked at. The test went as follows:
1. We had about 5 or so general questions about programming "If you divide an int by a double what do you get?"
2. 2 full programs were written on a sheet of paper, and we just had to do an analysis of them and write down the output in the space provided. The first was basically and unnecessarily complex program that multiplied a variable by 2 6 times. The second was just adding and printing pointers, seeing if we understood when we were working with the address of the pointer, the address of the variable it points at, and the value of the variable it is pointing at.
3. We were given an incomplete program, and we just needed to fill in the blanks. All we had to add was what variables go where, what types they were, and then throw some if statements at it to make it all work.
4. We needed to write a full program which would accept inputs for the dimensions of several different boxes (actually as many boxes as the user wants) and it would tell the user how many of those boxes were cubes and then give the total volume of all of the added boxes. I was trying to be careful about not forgetting things. I even caught myself when I almost did an assignment (width=height) instead of a condition test (width==height(subtle difference eh?(<- check out that eh, aren't I so Canadian?)))
5.We needed to write another program, but this one had to do factorials and powers and other fancy type stuff. The problem was that we couldn't use any "built in functions" which means a function that the program already knows for our benefit (so like, if I type printf("Hello World"); the program knows that it needs to display "Hello World" and I don't have to do the gross programming to make that work). What this meant was that I had to do a lot of functions that I wrote myself. I ran out of time while I was doing this question, but that only has a potential of knocking off about 4-6 marks, and I am really confident about the rest of my test. I got enough down that I obviously knew what I was doing.
Quick note that I forgot to mention, this ENTIRE test was on paper. This means I had no compilers to check if the programs I wrote actually worked in any way. That's why I ran out of time on the last one, I spent too much time looking over the program in section 4 (and I caught quite a lot of mistakes).
OH HEY I REMEMBERED THE FUNNY STORY! Just as I was about to hit publish too.
So I was walking out of my programming lab, and I was pretty excited about how it went, and as I walk by the fountain this guy catches my eye. He then pointed at me and shouted "YOU!!!!" He ran over brandishing a coffee mug in my face and said "Take this coffee mug! Spread the word! Never use a paper mug EVER AGAIN!!" Upon me tentatively taking it from him he flung his arms into the air and yelled "SAVED!!!" He then sprinted off to grab another coffee mug from his display. They actually had this cool display about how everyone should use more coffee mugs, but this guy's method of spreading the word was hilarious. He even had a poster taped to his back for people to read while he sprints away.
This is my new mug:
We had a programming midterm today, which I totally rocked at. The test went as follows:
1. We had about 5 or so general questions about programming "If you divide an int by a double what do you get?"
2. 2 full programs were written on a sheet of paper, and we just had to do an analysis of them and write down the output in the space provided. The first was basically and unnecessarily complex program that multiplied a variable by 2 6 times. The second was just adding and printing pointers, seeing if we understood when we were working with the address of the pointer, the address of the variable it points at, and the value of the variable it is pointing at.
3. We were given an incomplete program, and we just needed to fill in the blanks. All we had to add was what variables go where, what types they were, and then throw some if statements at it to make it all work.
4. We needed to write a full program which would accept inputs for the dimensions of several different boxes (actually as many boxes as the user wants) and it would tell the user how many of those boxes were cubes and then give the total volume of all of the added boxes. I was trying to be careful about not forgetting things. I even caught myself when I almost did an assignment (width=height) instead of a condition test (width==height(subtle difference eh?(<- check out that eh, aren't I so Canadian?)))
5.We needed to write another program, but this one had to do factorials and powers and other fancy type stuff. The problem was that we couldn't use any "built in functions" which means a function that the program already knows for our benefit (so like, if I type printf("Hello World"); the program knows that it needs to display "Hello World" and I don't have to do the gross programming to make that work). What this meant was that I had to do a lot of functions that I wrote myself. I ran out of time while I was doing this question, but that only has a potential of knocking off about 4-6 marks, and I am really confident about the rest of my test. I got enough down that I obviously knew what I was doing.
Quick note that I forgot to mention, this ENTIRE test was on paper. This means I had no compilers to check if the programs I wrote actually worked in any way. That's why I ran out of time on the last one, I spent too much time looking over the program in section 4 (and I caught quite a lot of mistakes).
OH HEY I REMEMBERED THE FUNNY STORY! Just as I was about to hit publish too.
So I was walking out of my programming lab, and I was pretty excited about how it went, and as I walk by the fountain this guy catches my eye. He then pointed at me and shouted "YOU!!!!" He ran over brandishing a coffee mug in my face and said "Take this coffee mug! Spread the word! Never use a paper mug EVER AGAIN!!" Upon me tentatively taking it from him he flung his arms into the air and yelled "SAVED!!!" He then sprinted off to grab another coffee mug from his display. They actually had this cool display about how everyone should use more coffee mugs, but this guy's method of spreading the word was hilarious. He even had a poster taped to his back for people to read while he sprints away.
This is my new mug:

Comments
Post a Comment