I rode a bus!

This post may seem unnecessary and frivolous to you, but this is a MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT for me. For years and years I have been driven everywhere by someone, I have never tried riding the bus, and driving cars scares me. BUT NOW, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER: I rode a bus down to the Hillside Shopping Centre (auto correct is whining about my use of "Centre," I wonder if there is a Canadian auto correct setting) to get some id pictures taken. Not only did I ride the bus, but I was entirely alone and without help.
I have to say that the bus system is kinda fun actually. the BC Transit website is ridiculously helpful. So after finding out where I needed to go I walked to the bus transition center thingy, and the different bus ports had a big sign that had the bus numbers on them, and a little map of where they were going. I got on the bus, swiped my student id card and sat down. Easy peasy. Something that entirely amazed me and threw me off guard though was that as people got off the bus (from the middle exit) every single person yelled "Thank you" to the bus driver, just out of what seemed to be habit. I thought that was cool.

RANDOM NOTE: Anyone remember that WSPA girl I talked about in Club Day? She was totally standing outside of the Shopping Centre with another WSPA girl. Of course the other girl was quick to tackle me and start giving me the whole animal talk again, which I kindly interrupted her and said "I've actually already talked about this with *points to other girl* her before." To which she said "So why didn't you join?" Now, I don't know about you, but that sounds like it is verging on the realm of that salesman that calls your phone every other day just to make sure you haven't changed your mind. I kindly said "I don't have the money to pay for the donations" which she responded with a look of haughty derision and the statement "Not even 10 dollars a month?" I told her that I was in College, and that it costs oodles of money, so she finally backed off saying "Yeah, I am currently trying to save up for college." She quickly tried to remind me that I could put a 3 month waiting period before my first payment, so I said "Thank you, maybe some other time" and managed to escape.
Forced donations are stupid.

Comments

  1. You will find Canadians are known for saying "Thank You" to ATM / ABM machines too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest that you also practice saying, "No, thank you" to the WSPA. Just say the same thing, over and over again, as a reply to whatever they say next. Don't ever say anything else. Remember, you don't owe them any explanation.

    The best part about it is that it makes it sound like you're declining a favor that they're offering. ;-)

    (note for the future: it works with kids, too...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Classic Red Production

Where'd that playlist go?