Parting is such sweet sorrow

So I woke up on the 4th and freaked out for about 4 seconds as my mind tried to remember where I was. You would think that spending weekends on boy scout outings would have me trained for this sort of thing.

I got up early to try out the showers to find that the control interface is very simple, there is one knob, this knob increases both the amount of heat as well as the speed the water is going. Unfortunately this means that to get the water up to a decent temperature the water has to be going fast enough to feel like pins and needles (I discovered that the shower stall next to that one isn't as bad, and I have been using that one ever since). Also as a weird note, there is no paper towels in the washroom... so to dry your hands you have to bring in your own drying implements.

People started moving in on the 4th and 5th (I moved in a day early) so I greeted them and helped them as they moved in. They are all very kind and intelligent people. I also discovered that the reason they all moved into the Alcohol Free Dorm wasn't necessarily that they didn't want to drink, but that most of them were 18 and weren't allowed to drink. At the end of the day we played a little game to get to know each other where one person in the middle of the circle of people would yell something about themselves, and everyone who that applied to would run in and try to find a new place in the circle inevitably leaving someone out. From this game I discovered that most of the people in this dorm are total geeks who enjoy firefly, doctor who, starcraft, and star trek (and the only one of those that I personally yelled from the middle was Doctor Who, all of the other options were confidently stated by other people).

After some fun times and fancy dinners with my family the weekend came to a close, and my family all left the country to head back home. I slowly began to realize that I was on my own, that the footsteps going by my door wasn't my parent coming to remind me of stuff I needed to get done. As the responsibility of the situation I was in began to dawn on me it became abundantly clear what the position I had placed myself in actually required. To quote myself, "Going to college is all the fun of getting lost, without the fun of getting found." This is my chance to learn that when I trip there wont always be a something to catch me, and that I need to learn to walk on my own. The education is all the same trapeze but without the safety net and with a higher paying, more criticizing audience. School is suddenly serious business, and it's about time I treated it that way.

Let the education begin!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should eat more

I rode a bus!

"We aren't at Aviation anymore"