Chaotic Ooze that Furiously Fights Extreme Exhaustion.
I don't like coffee. Coffee is a bitter drink that only tastes good when drowned in excessive amounts of flavored syrup. Up until this week I had only drank one cup of coffee in my life, and that was just because I was young and being whiny about being tired (back in my newbie days when aviation high school had a coffee machine in the common area). My theory behind coffee is that if I don't drink it often it will be more effective for me, and if I don't add any flavor then I will have no urge to continue drinking after I no longer need it.
Fast-forward to November 16th, 2010. I had been studying in the library rather often, but I was feeling like it wasn't productive enough, as I would get to the library kinda latish and only be in there for about 2 hours. It wasn't that I intended to spend so little time in there, but with all the projects and things we had been encountering I was getting really tired, the problem was that I had an algebra test at the end of the week (the day this blog post was posted btw) and I really felt that I didn't fully comprehend what was going on.
It was about 7:00pm, and I had just spent the last five minutes staring at the same paragraph, and I started to nod off at the table. Catching myself, I slammed my pencil to the table and thought "It's time we got serious," (I think to myself in plurals by the way, not even kidding). I gathered up my stuff and walked downstairs to the "BiblioCafe." I walked up to the counter and said "I'd like a... *glanced at the size chart* 16oz coffee please." I handed my residence card to her and she slapped a 16 oz empty cup on the table. I filled it up with coffee and was about to leave when someone nearby (who I knew from class) said "Don't you want some milk or something with that?" I turned to him with the disheveled and exhausted glare of an Engineering student and smiled. "That's not my style," I said just before taking a huge swig of the terrible substance and walking back into the library. As I made my way back to my studying spot the flavor of the coffee quickly stormed through my head. Taste-buds withered and died while the noxious fluid permeated every fiber of my being as I sat down and got out my math book. I opened up to the page I had spent the last 10 minutes falling asleep over and thought "Let's do this!"
3 days, 4 chapters, 10 pages of paper, 64 oz of coffee, and 8 hours of sleep went by as I not only reviewed the new material for my math class, but also tore through the entire past 3 months worth of class. I awoke this morning from my 1 hour battle-nap, having already had a good breakfast and gotten ready for the day, and left for class. I sat down in Matrix Algebra, joined in on the pre-test pep-rally (you know, the part before the test where everyone acts overconfident even though they are sure they are going to fail) and started the test. Terrified, I opened the test booklet, read the first question and thought "Oh... I know this." *starts flipping through pages* "I can't believe it... I studied this, and I can do this one. I'm entirely prepa- oh... woah... can't do that one... but other than that this test is going to be awesome!"
I emerged from the testing room in a staggeringly confusing feeling of both excitement and exhaustion, I listened to the comments around me: "How were we supposed to do...." "I totally bombed that test" "Is it even possible to take an LU factorization of that matrix?" Comforted in my performance I finished my classes for the day and returned to my room, only to leave moments later with a flashdrive filled with pdf's and a small bag of multi-sided dice. You see, this was not only the day of my big Algebra midterm, but also the first day of our dorm Dungeons and Dragons group. Is there anyway to have more fun then to spend your whole evening teaching nerds how they can be the best, like no one ever was? Oh well, how about AFTER we played DnD we all went to the movie theatre and watched "Inception" together (which was an INCREDIBLE movie).
All said and done, today was a fantastic day. If you think "Budaww, I wish I could have been there with Kyle to experience it... I feel so neglected and sad" think about this: After 3 days, 4 chapters, 10 pages of paper, 64 oz of coffee, 8 hours of sleep, 3-5 hours of helping people create characters, and 2.5 hours of movie, rather than go to sleep like any reasonable person would the first thing I chose to do is sit down and tell you about my week.
Ima go to sleep... I am sufficiently exhausted, and I think I deserve a good night's rest. Besides, I need to be awake to do my programming assignment and calculus worksheet. That way I can sleep comfortably so that on Sunday I can go work on my design project for Engr 110. If we finish that up then I wont have to use that time during the week, and I can refocus my studies to prepare for the Calculus midterm next Friday. This will give me a bit more leeway on taking time to do my gigantic research essay, finish the final design project, do more math homework, prepare for finals, and of course: try to get some sleep.
Alternate title for this blog post:
"Why I haven't been posting"
Fast-forward to November 16th, 2010. I had been studying in the library rather often, but I was feeling like it wasn't productive enough, as I would get to the library kinda latish and only be in there for about 2 hours. It wasn't that I intended to spend so little time in there, but with all the projects and things we had been encountering I was getting really tired, the problem was that I had an algebra test at the end of the week (the day this blog post was posted btw) and I really felt that I didn't fully comprehend what was going on.
It was about 7:00pm, and I had just spent the last five minutes staring at the same paragraph, and I started to nod off at the table. Catching myself, I slammed my pencil to the table and thought "It's time we got serious," (I think to myself in plurals by the way, not even kidding). I gathered up my stuff and walked downstairs to the "BiblioCafe." I walked up to the counter and said "I'd like a... *glanced at the size chart* 16oz coffee please." I handed my residence card to her and she slapped a 16 oz empty cup on the table. I filled it up with coffee and was about to leave when someone nearby (who I knew from class) said "Don't you want some milk or something with that?" I turned to him with the disheveled and exhausted glare of an Engineering student and smiled. "That's not my style," I said just before taking a huge swig of the terrible substance and walking back into the library. As I made my way back to my studying spot the flavor of the coffee quickly stormed through my head. Taste-buds withered and died while the noxious fluid permeated every fiber of my being as I sat down and got out my math book. I opened up to the page I had spent the last 10 minutes falling asleep over and thought "Let's do this!"
3 days, 4 chapters, 10 pages of paper, 64 oz of coffee, and 8 hours of sleep went by as I not only reviewed the new material for my math class, but also tore through the entire past 3 months worth of class. I awoke this morning from my 1 hour battle-nap, having already had a good breakfast and gotten ready for the day, and left for class. I sat down in Matrix Algebra, joined in on the pre-test pep-rally (you know, the part before the test where everyone acts overconfident even though they are sure they are going to fail) and started the test. Terrified, I opened the test booklet, read the first question and thought "Oh... I know this." *starts flipping through pages* "I can't believe it... I studied this, and I can do this one. I'm entirely prepa- oh... woah... can't do that one... but other than that this test is going to be awesome!"
I emerged from the testing room in a staggeringly confusing feeling of both excitement and exhaustion, I listened to the comments around me: "How were we supposed to do...." "I totally bombed that test" "Is it even possible to take an LU factorization of that matrix?" Comforted in my performance I finished my classes for the day and returned to my room, only to leave moments later with a flashdrive filled with pdf's and a small bag of multi-sided dice. You see, this was not only the day of my big Algebra midterm, but also the first day of our dorm Dungeons and Dragons group. Is there anyway to have more fun then to spend your whole evening teaching nerds how they can be the best, like no one ever was? Oh well, how about AFTER we played DnD we all went to the movie theatre and watched "Inception" together (which was an INCREDIBLE movie).
All said and done, today was a fantastic day. If you think "Budaww, I wish I could have been there with Kyle to experience it... I feel so neglected and sad" think about this: After 3 days, 4 chapters, 10 pages of paper, 64 oz of coffee, 8 hours of sleep, 3-5 hours of helping people create characters, and 2.5 hours of movie, rather than go to sleep like any reasonable person would the first thing I chose to do is sit down and tell you about my week.
Ima go to sleep... I am sufficiently exhausted, and I think I deserve a good night's rest. Besides, I need to be awake to do my programming assignment and calculus worksheet. That way I can sleep comfortably so that on Sunday I can go work on my design project for Engr 110. If we finish that up then I wont have to use that time during the week, and I can refocus my studies to prepare for the Calculus midterm next Friday. This will give me a bit more leeway on taking time to do my gigantic research essay, finish the final design project, do more math homework, prepare for finals, and of course: try to get some sleep.
Alternate title for this blog post:
"Why I haven't been posting"
Comments
Post a Comment