Fantastic Adventures and Silly Situations: Vancouver Comic Con

So I have these friends (I know, weird right?) that I pretty much spend all my time with up here in Canada. We were hanging out on the third floor lounge (which we have essentially claimed as our geek-den) and we spontaneously decided to go to the Vancouver Comic Convention. After some procrastinating we eventually planned how to get there, and it turned out to be a ridonkulous amount of traveling just to go to this tiny little con. Any logical person would have said "Man, that's totally not worth it" but of course we all said "YEAH LET'S GO!" So after about 5-6 hours of travel (including buses, a ferry, more buses, and a 2km walk) we arrived at the Comic Con location. Turns out it was a really really small convention, and we ended up only being there for about a half hour. Even though we weren't there for very long, I still had this awesome encounter. So I was walking up to Ken Steacy's table (he does a bunch of really cool stuff) and he was talking to some other guy about his phone. The girl next to Ken glances over at me and notices the star trek insignia I wear on my coat lapel and says "Oh hey Ken, this guy would appreciate it!" Ken turns to me and shows me this wonderful app he has on his phone, and then the two of us proceeded to geek out over star trek for a while. After that I bought an inexpensive print of Magneto casually disassembling a gun, which Ken kindly signed for me, and then we decided to head out. After that we went to the nearby farmer's market (after some silly traveling and getting lost) and bought dinner, and then we made the journey back home.
Don't think "Wow, 12 hours of traveling for 30 minutes at a convention and a couple hours of dawdling about?" Because we had loads of fun just taking the journey. Sure we were all tired because we had been up most of the night previous, but that just made it all more fun. Breakfast on the ferry, curling up and sleeping in the chairs, listening to each others music, fun conversation, surfing on the stretch buses and skytrain, running around Vancouver, and then of course doing it all the way back (with some super stylish guitar hero rockin' out in the arcade), as well as some homework thrown in here and there. If I had the opportunity to do it again I totally would.
So that star trek insignia that I just mentioned earlier? Wearing that around has been a brilliant idea. Not only has it allowed me to talk to random people I don't know merely because they say "Hey! Star Trek!", but it also lets me see people who are just closet geeks. Closet geeks being those people who notice the pin and kind of smile inwardly, and try to hide their gaze when they realize I noticed them. Definitely turned out to be entirely worth it as a Christmas present (From Santa if I recall correctly. Thanks man, you're a pretty cool guy).
That's all I've got for right now, so I'll leave you with a quote from my English teacher. He was reading bad sentences from our papers and showing us what was wrong with them, and one used the phrase "extract grammatical flaws." So he decided to tease us about our writing:
"I don't edit essays, I extract grammatical flaws! I'm an Engineer! I don't walk through the door, I PROCEED THROUGH THE APERTURE!!"

Comments

  1. "proceed through the aperture"? snort! Only if he is very, very skinny... or virtual.

    Awesome adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Classic Red Production

Where'd that playlist go?