My house doesn't like me anymore
So going through high school I had the standard set-up: nice computer, good workspace, a comfortable bed, and the prospect of an exciting summer. Then I go accepted into college and they said I needed to take a chemistry course, I decided that taking it over the summer wouldn’t be too much of a bother. Then Mom and Dad promised me a new computer for graduating high school, which is awesome! The house didn’t agree with me (specifically my computer didn’t agree with me).
Summertime heat caused my loft bed to be obscenely warm, I expected this. I didn’t expect the couch that is long enough for me to sleep on to be preoccupied all summer… So all I have left is an uncomfortable love-seat (two cushion couch) where my feet dangle off the edge, I remedied this by sleeping diagonally and laying my feet along a chair that I set nearby.
While I wasn’t sleeping very well, my days would run fine, until I turned on my laptop to find out it wasn’t properly connected to its screen anymore. This meant that I needed an external monitor, but the old one I was using lost its backlight… This lead to me using the fancy plasma screen TV, which in my opinion was pretty awesome. I mean, normally I am looking at this little netbook screen, so what’s wrong with upgrading to plasma screen HDTV? I got to play games and have a fun time enjoying the new visual effects, but then my mouse decided it was done working properly. The only way it would work is if I held the mouse wire in a certain way, which is not very productive for playing games. As my mouse slowly died I suddenly found my ability to play my games diminishing, and so I had to find other things to do. While I sat at my computer looking through my hard-drive for stuff to do, I suddenly got a low battery alert. My instant reaction was to get up and try to find the cord, only to find out it was already plugged in to the computer… I moved the cord slightly to discover that, like the mouse, it only worked while held in certain positions. What this has meant for me is that I have to prop the cord with my right leg to get the computer to charge, not THAT much of a problem. As my chemistry class came in to full swing, I realized how much of a problem this actually was. My desk is in my room, not in front of the tv, so I quickly noticed that I had no place to actually sit and do my homework. I decided that I would use a series of chairs as a desk, trying to make a place for the textbook as well as my computer. The problem with this, was that I needed to keep the power cord propped up, so I needed to sit entirely sideways in my chair, with my leg up on the arm rest to get the computer charging while trying to take care of paperwork. This was alright, but it got very annoying very quickly.
Fast forward to a week or two later, I lay down on the chair and prop up my computer so I can get some homework done, and I look up at the tv to see that everything is entirely blue. I reach for the monitor cable to discover that to get a clear picture I needed to hold that in a very specific position, just like EVERY OTHER COMPONENT of this computer. I decided to wrap the cable around my leg to try to hold it in the right position, but it was a bit too loose, so I push my right foot into the cord around my left leg, and everything is clear again, but with the silly position and my back hurting already from not sleeping comfortably I can’t say I was particularly thrilled about it.
As I type this post I’ve got it much more organized, actually being able to sit up in my chair with the cords skillfully wrapped around my left leg. I can actually call this position ALMOST comfortable. New computer comes in today and this seemed like the best time to explain my silly little problems.
In other news, I totally rocked out on my chem class. If this class was any representation of what college will be like, then I am not at all worried. Everyone was worried for the final test, and I could hear the collective groans as they noticed how long it was, but I was super excited, the test was just a bunch of math! While the class trudged through the mounds of work wishing the day was over I was sitting in the back with the overly excited look on my face as I did my work, checked my work, and wrote a program on my calculator to check my work a third time, it was actually quite ridiculous now that I think about it. In the end, I am the victor!
Summertime heat caused my loft bed to be obscenely warm, I expected this. I didn’t expect the couch that is long enough for me to sleep on to be preoccupied all summer… So all I have left is an uncomfortable love-seat (two cushion couch) where my feet dangle off the edge, I remedied this by sleeping diagonally and laying my feet along a chair that I set nearby.
While I wasn’t sleeping very well, my days would run fine, until I turned on my laptop to find out it wasn’t properly connected to its screen anymore. This meant that I needed an external monitor, but the old one I was using lost its backlight… This lead to me using the fancy plasma screen TV, which in my opinion was pretty awesome. I mean, normally I am looking at this little netbook screen, so what’s wrong with upgrading to plasma screen HDTV? I got to play games and have a fun time enjoying the new visual effects, but then my mouse decided it was done working properly. The only way it would work is if I held the mouse wire in a certain way, which is not very productive for playing games. As my mouse slowly died I suddenly found my ability to play my games diminishing, and so I had to find other things to do. While I sat at my computer looking through my hard-drive for stuff to do, I suddenly got a low battery alert. My instant reaction was to get up and try to find the cord, only to find out it was already plugged in to the computer… I moved the cord slightly to discover that, like the mouse, it only worked while held in certain positions. What this has meant for me is that I have to prop the cord with my right leg to get the computer to charge, not THAT much of a problem. As my chemistry class came in to full swing, I realized how much of a problem this actually was. My desk is in my room, not in front of the tv, so I quickly noticed that I had no place to actually sit and do my homework. I decided that I would use a series of chairs as a desk, trying to make a place for the textbook as well as my computer. The problem with this, was that I needed to keep the power cord propped up, so I needed to sit entirely sideways in my chair, with my leg up on the arm rest to get the computer charging while trying to take care of paperwork. This was alright, but it got very annoying very quickly.
Fast forward to a week or two later, I lay down on the chair and prop up my computer so I can get some homework done, and I look up at the tv to see that everything is entirely blue. I reach for the monitor cable to discover that to get a clear picture I needed to hold that in a very specific position, just like EVERY OTHER COMPONENT of this computer. I decided to wrap the cable around my leg to try to hold it in the right position, but it was a bit too loose, so I push my right foot into the cord around my left leg, and everything is clear again, but with the silly position and my back hurting already from not sleeping comfortably I can’t say I was particularly thrilled about it.
As I type this post I’ve got it much more organized, actually being able to sit up in my chair with the cords skillfully wrapped around my left leg. I can actually call this position ALMOST comfortable. New computer comes in today and this seemed like the best time to explain my silly little problems.
In other news, I totally rocked out on my chem class. If this class was any representation of what college will be like, then I am not at all worried. Everyone was worried for the final test, and I could hear the collective groans as they noticed how long it was, but I was super excited, the test was just a bunch of math! While the class trudged through the mounds of work wishing the day was over I was sitting in the back with the overly excited look on my face as I did my work, checked my work, and wrote a program on my calculator to check my work a third time, it was actually quite ridiculous now that I think about it. In the end, I am the victor!
Comments
Post a Comment